Bay Area DART (Disaster Animal Response Team) is a team of volunteers focused on all aspects of dealing with animals in disaster situations. We are brought together for our love of animals and have backgrounds in animal and non-animal related fields.
Bay Area DART provides educational resources and speakers to the community to Prepare Citizens and their pets for disaster. When a disaster strikes, our team members work closely with local Emergency managers to provide resources and guidance in developing and managing Pet Friendly Shelters.
What We Do
- Provide trained and experienced volunteers in emergency sheltering situations when requested during natural or man-made disasters.
- Open, staff and close Pet Friendly Shelters throughout Pinellas County and Hillsborough County in the event evacuations are ordered.
- Educate the public to be prepared while furthering our own education through various training and networking activities.
- Assist in the rescue of animals by providing kennels, transport equipment, and staging equipment for a compound area.
- Aid other humane organizations in performing animal rescue.
- Provide assistance to animal controls and humane societies during disasters and animal abuse and/or hoarding cases when they request our help.
- Provide assistance in removing animals in advance of pending disaster in order to mitigate possible injury or death.
- Help other humane organizations as well as county agencies when animals are in need.
Pinellas County Organizational Chart